Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas from Malisa and me. 

Here is a little section from John, chapter 1. 

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 (John bore witness about him, and cried out, "This was he of whom I said, "He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.") 16 And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known.

The story still amazes me. 

If you want to read more about the 12 Christmas Characters read this series of blog posts Malisa wrote last year. 

Cafe Medina, Vancouver, BC

The first week of August (almost 2 months ago already...), Malisa and I traveled to Vancouver, BC. We did the usual: coffee, eating, walking, public transit and taking photos. We had a list of things we wanted to do but no set agenda. 

Before we left I sent a tweet out asking what to do in Vancouver. Luckily, R.E. responded with a list of places, which included Cafe Medina! She mentioned their breakfast and coffee, something Malisa and I happen to adore, so this sounded like an easy decision. Thank you to R.E. for the many recommendations, I think we did everything she suggested. 

Read More

Kavna the Beluga Whale, Vancouver Aquarium

Today, Malisa, Beth, Julie and I visited Vancouver Aquarium for the first time and made sure to attend the 2:15 beluga whale show. I walked to the beluga pool around 1:40 and noticed 2 whales swimming in the larger pool while one whale was secluded in a smaller pool toward the back. I didn't think much of it but I did snap a few photos. 

The whale show lasted about 20 minutes, which seemed short. The 2 whales repeatedly swam to the barrier between the pools where the other whale was kept. After the show, I asked a VanAqua employee what the whale's name was and why she was secluded, she stated the whale's name was Kavna and she was in the smaller pool for observation. The whale looked ill and was floating on its side.

While shooting a few more photos, Kavna was on her side or upside-down a majority of the time. She swam toward the barrier and it looked like she began hitting her face against it. I heard a trainer calling for help and saw others rushing to the area. When they arrived to the smaller pool, they jumped in to help. Immediately, other employees started roping off the area and asking people to move toward the penguin show.

By this time, Kavna was moving very little. We saw other employees bringing a whale harness and what looked like a wetsuit. They also began turning orange wheels, which either drained the tank or brought the whale toward ther surface of the water. The trainers also turned Kavna upright. 

We were pretty intrigued at the situation and knew something was wrong with the Kavna. We found out a few hours later, via twitter, that she had actually died while we were there. We read VanAqua's blog post and learned Kavna was 46 years old and well past the normal life span of a beluga whale (25-30 years). We are sad for the trainers and medical staff who cared for Kavna, this must be a difficult time for them. 


I previously had photos posted of Kavna's last moments and the aquarium staff caring for her. This post has gotten more media attention than I expected. I have declined opportunity to be interviewed and have the photos used on television and in newspapers out of respect for the aquarium's staff, some who have cared for Kavna for 30+ years. 

I appreciate the interest in my photos from news organizations, but I decided to take the photos down after realizing they were being used in a way that viewed the aquarium negatively, which is not what I intended to do. 

SactoMoFo 5

On Saturday, the Inks made the 1.5 hour trek to Sacramento for the first time. By sheer coincidence SactoMoFo 5 was being held that very day. Knowing our friends share the same love (nearing obsession on our part) for food trucks, we used that as an excuse to get outside and see some of our city. A few weeks ago we had gone to the Off the Grid food truck meetup in Alameda with the Inky-B's, getting food trucks with them has been great. 

If it needs explaination, Sacto MoFo stands for Sacramento Mobile Food. The first mobile food event was held on April 2011 in Fremont Park and drew over 4,000 people. This time MoFo was held under the W/X freeway and being that it was 100+ degrees out, it actually provided us with some much needed shade. 

Read More

Blue Bottle Coffee, Ferry Building

Malisa's birthday was last month. I had a nice evening planned at our favorite restaurant. The day before her bithday she said, "what if we went to a Giants game instead?" I immediately cancelled our reservations and she bought tickets online. What guy in his right mind would pass up a Giants game?

Before the game we visited Blue Bottle Coffee in the Ferry Building.

Read More

Our Day in Auburn

Last Month, Malisa and I planned to take a day-trip to Empire Mine, about an hour from our home. As we drove, the symphony of borborygmus (stomach growling) filled our vehicle. We decided to stop in downtown Auburn and try out a place we'd heard about called Tsuda's. As we exited the freeway we were surprised at how atypically crowded this little town was. Little did we know, there was an antiques fair that day in downtown Auburn.

Read More

GOOD street food + design market

On Sunday, Malisa and I had the pleasure of attending the GOOD street food + design market. The market was located in, what appears to be, a previously vacant warehouse on Del Paso Blvd, in the Uptown or North Sacramento area. The market is a joint venture between Unseen Heroes and the Del Paso Boulevard Partnership featuring a number of businesses and organizations from the area. 

Read More