I love soup. I especially love easy and healthy soups. A few weeks ago I tweeted about it being cold and Jessica said I should make tortilla soup. She generously shared her recipe with me and I was so happy with the results.
As Jessica explained in her instructions, this soup is incredibly versatile. You can make the beans from scratch or you can use a can. You can make this recipe vegetarian or it can have meat in it. You can make it spicy or mild. So many options!
I created a semi-homemade version. The first thing I did was make Chicken Salsa in the slow cooker. I then added all of the other ingredients to the slow cooker when I got home from work. (Note: if you want to eat the meal before it becomes a 4th meal, you'll want to add cooked rice)
- 1 1/2 pounds Chicken (boneless/skinless)
- 1 12 ounce jar Salsa (any kind)
Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray and add the chicken to the pot. Pour salsa over the top and cook on low for 7 hours. Shred with a fork.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Salsa chicken (see above)
- 8 cups Broth (any kind, I used chicken/turkey)
- 1 1/3 cups Rice, uncooked (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1 can of: Corn, Pinto and Black Beans
- 1 lime, juice only
- Salsa/Pico de gallo to taste
- Toppings: chips, cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese (etc)
Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours if using uncooked rice or 1 hour if using cooked rice. Serve with chips, cilantro, avocado & cheese.
Have you ever made Tortilla Soup?